Antique 1850s Ambrotype Photo Fireman in ALERT Lion Helmet 4 HOSE + Firemen Case
Sixth-plate ambrotype of a Alert Hose Co. 4 fireman wearing a parade helmet with the "ALERT" and "4" clearly visible. The department was possibly located in Huntington, Indiana. His helmet appears to have e a brass lion finial above the shield. Ambrotype is housed in a period 1850s thermoplastic case with a fireman rescuing a child design on its front and back covers.
This is a clear glass ambrotype with a blank, black iron sheet in the case behind the image. The emulsion side is face down, so the writing on the shield is not mirrored. Very nice in hand with some light age-related spotting, mostly visible under magnification.
The case is good with some small edge chipping; overall the entire piece displays nicely. This item is in the category "Collectibles\Photographic Images\Photographs".
The seller is "jack_mord" and is located in this country: US. This item can be shipped to United States.
- Unit of Sale: Single Piece
- Antique: Yes
- Image Color: Color
- Material: Leather
- Original/Licensed Reprint: Original
- Subject: Uniforms, Firemen, Occupational, Firefighting
- Type: Photograph
- Format: Ambrotype
- Year of Production: 1850s
- Number of Photographs: 1
- Theme: Americana, Fashion, Portrait
- Time Period Manufactured: 1850-1899
- Production Technique: Ambrotype
- Country/Region of Manufacture: United States